Please spread the word to all home schoolers that they can stop calling their lawmakers about Rep. David Cook’s bad home school bill. This fight is over.
Rep. David Cook informed me this morning that he is going to ask that his home school bill, HB 2144, be referred to an interim study. This is very good news. This means that no hearings will be held and no vote will be taken. Rep. Cook has asked Rep. Les Carnine of Rogers to spearhead a committee to discuss home school issues over the next 2 years and make recommendations to the Arkansas Legislature for the session in 2011. I have agreed to participate in those meetings.
Your calls, e-mails, letters, and face-to-face visits with lawmakers made all the difference. Thank you for all you did, especially those who were able to come to Little Rock and meet in person with members of the House Education Committee.
It is likely that HB 1989, our good home school bill sponsored by Rep. Mark Martin, will also be sent to interim study. This decision will be up to Rep. Martin since he is the sponsor of the bill.
Spread the word to all home schoolers that HB 2144 has been stopped, and they can stop calling their elected officials.
Below is our best estimate regarding where the members of the House Education Committee stood on this bill.
Thanks again for your help.
HB 2144, Home School Bill Sponsored by Rep. David Cook
March 19, 2009
Would Likely to Vote Against HB 2144
The following members of the House Education Committee have indicated that the do not support HB 2144, David Cook’s home school bill.
1. Rep. Mark Martin – email@example.com | 479-466-7386
2. Rep. Donna Hutchinson – firstname.lastname@example.org | 472-876-6011
3. Rep. Dan Greenberg – email@example.com | 501-588-4245
4. Rep. Tim Summers – firstname.lastname@example.org | 479-273-0773
5. Rep. Toni Bradford – email@example.com | 870-879-5270
6. Rep. Jody Dickinson – 870-523-8222
7. Rep. Mark Perry – firstname.lastname@example.org | 501-985-0124
8. Rep. Robert Dale – email@example.com | 479-331-3503
9. Rep. Les Carnine – firstname.lastname@example.org | 501-682-7771
10. Rep. Jerry Brown – email@example.com | 870-238-3815
11. Rep. Rick Saunders – firstname.lastname@example.org | 501-760-7770
Intentions Unclear on HB 2144
The following members of the House Education Committee have not indicated clearly their intentions regarding HB 2144, David Cook’s home school bill.
1. Rep. Monty Betts – email@example.com | 501-268-9254
2. Rep. Bill Abernathy – firstname.lastname@example.org | 479-394-2733
3. Rep. Charolette Wagner – email@example.com | 870-561-4600
4. Rep. Steve Breedlove – firstname.lastname@example.org | 479-996-9712
5. Rep. Eddie Cheatham – email@example.com | 870-364-5659
6. Rep. Linda Tyler – firstname.lastname@example.org | 501-329-8644
7. Rep. David Rainey – email@example.com | 870-382-2003
8. Rep. Nancy Duffy Blount – firstname.lastname@example.org | 870-295-1386
David Cook is a member of the House Education Committee. Rep. David Cook – email@example.com | 870-966-4703