Ask the Readers: What’s Your Favorite Curriculum?

Home School Curriculum.  There are as many preferences as there are choices.  In my experience, nearly every home school family has a particular group of curricula they use for educating their children.

Growing up, the big names in home education were A Beka, Bob Jones, and Saxon.  Some years, my brothers and I had a different curriculum for each subject!  One thing’s for sure: Home schooling allows parents to mix and match the right books for their child’s needs.

I want to hear from you.  What’s your favorite curriculum?  Does your family use one curriculum for math, another for history, and still another for english?  Tell us about it!

The upcoming home school conventions are going to feature a wide variety of curricula for you to choose from.  Tell us what curricula you use and what you like to shop for at the convention.

Just leave us a comment below with your thoughts, and let us hear from you!

About David Cox

David is a former home school student. In 2007 he graduated from John Brown University in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, with a bachelors degree in Business Administration. He currently works as Education Alliance's primary IT employee, webmaster, and blogger. David and his wife live in Little Rock.
This entry was posted in Polls and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ask the Readers: What’s Your Favorite Curriculum?

1. Jodi says:

We love Sonlight – great literature, and all of my children love reading now!

2. Missy says:

I have only used ABeka, and the math and language are not working for one of my children. He also needs something not so classroom oriented, more hands on and individual. The rest of the subjects are great and they all work fine for the other child. I would appreciate people responding to this to help people like me choose for next year. I have been looking into some other things for a few months, but I am not sure yet what I will use next year. PLEASE, POST YOUR EXPERIENCES!
    Thank you!

3. TM Reddin says:

I’ve just been thinking about this since convention time is coming up.
    I usually use such a mix b/c I like different things about each one. I love Saxon and plan to stay with this math–not interested in looking at anything else. I just turned to Apologia science and liked it so well this last year that I’m planning to stick with it as well.
    Story of the World is ok, but if I were to find something better, I would change.
    Grammar and Spelling I use Rod and Staff. They are my favorite. The Reading is good, but I would like more classic literature, so I have alternated between R & S and Total Language Plus.
    Hope this helps.

4. admin says:

@TM Reddin: You’ve provided a very good overview.

Part of the reason I submitted this question to everyone is the fact that I know how overwhelmed many new home schoolers feel by curriculum choices. There are so many to choose from,and taking a “trial-and-error” approach can be expensive and could cost your children valuable learning-time. That’s why it pays to hear from other home schoolers.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.

5. Ann says:

Ditto on the Sonlight! I used A Beka and a myriad of other things growing up, and really didn’t like it. Then Mom started using Sonlight with my youngest siblings (at the time I was too old – Sonlight did not cover the older grades) and I was exceedingly envious. When we decided to homeschool our little ones, I looked at a few things, but came right back to Sonlight with Horizons math and Handwriting Without Tears. The work done in the Instructor’s Guides from Sonlight allow me to put my time and effort into supplementing as I like rather than having to put all of my energy into creating the core curriculum itself. And my kids LOVE most of their books, which is something I can’t say for I used at their age. I loved home school, but I didn’t love the work and books.

6. Deanna says:

Switched on Schoolhouse! Can’t imagine using anything else!

7. Debbie says:

I use Ambleside Online. I tried a couple of workbook approaches but we spent too much time in tears. Ambleside incorporates a lot of flexibility on what to use for different subjects and for us it is the way to go. We use Math-U-See for Math and I am going to try Apologia science for Junior and Senior High Science.

8. Pingback: Home School Blog » Blog Archive » Ask the Readers: Video or Textbook (Or Both)?

9. We use and love My Father’s World! I am using the Math, English, and Spelling that is recommended by My Father’s World! Excellent Curriculum!