Step 1: Basic Requirements

  • Acquire a notice of intent to home school and a waiver form from your local public school superintendent or download and print it by clicking here.
  • Fill out the notice of intent and waiver form.
  • Sign the notice of intent in the presence of a notary if any of your children enrolled in a home school will be taking the driver test. Click here for more information on how home schoolers obtain a driver license.
  • Keep a photocopy of the completed notice of intent and waiver form for your records.
  • Turn the completed notice of intent and waiver forms in to the local public school superintendent in person. If the superintendent contests the student’s transfer and requires the 14 calendar day waiting period.
  • Inform the superintendent the date and time you turned in your notice of intent and waiver forms and the date your child will be transferring from public school to home school. The superintendent has the ability to deny the student’s transfer to a home school if the student is under disciplinary action or has excessive unexcused absences.  The parent will need to ask the superintendent to make an exception and allow the student to leave any way.  It is up to the superintendent whether the child may leave at that point.  If the superintendent denies the student’s ability to transfer to a home school, the parent must leave the student in school and can complete the transfer to home school once the disciplinary action has been concluded.
  • Find out what needs to be done to resolve the problem and take necessary steps.

Note: The local school board may override any decision made by a superintendent.

Page 2 of 2 | Previous page

Leave a comment